Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Andalusian Horses

Caballos Andalusian son españoles son una raza hermosa. La raza Andalusian que se conoce como un caballo de batalla durante siglos.

Few people know that I love to ride horses. I pretty much grew up in a barn and have been riding since I was a little girl. When I was a teenager I began taking lessons with an equestrian trainer and began to practice Dressage and Hunter Jumping. Although, I have mainly rode Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses I have always admired the Spanish breed called the Andalusian. My trainer Jennifer Leach owned a beautiful Andalusian named Diablo and yes he was quite mean but he was solid black and so beautiful. Diablo sometimes means devil in Spanish so sometimes we called him Devil. I grew to love Andalusian horses for their beauty, power and movement. Jennifer would ride Diablo under Dressage saddle up to third level. I wish that I had a picture of Diablo but I have found a horse that favors him.


Some characteristics of the Andalusian horse is that they have compact bodies, with short backs, and are overall just very sturdy horses. Their manes and tails are very long and they usually have black hoofs. As one can tell the Andalusian breed is very elegant and noble looking. They have dished faces with wide set intelligent eyes. Their long forelocks usually cover their eyes adding a bit of an exotic look. The Andalusian breed has been around since the 15th century with very little changed to their conformation. Built for power and bravado this breed is most revered as a war horse for Spaniards. Today Andalusian's are used most prominently for Dressage but also for Show Jumping and Driving. 

For a brief description of Dressage, it is a French word for training. Some call it the dance between horse and rider but really it is so much more. Like most sports the most skilled make Dressage look effortless. The most simple explanation of the sport is to develop  the horse’s natural athletic ability and willingness to work making him calm, supple and attentive to his rider. Here  are some pictures of beautiful Andalusian's practicing Dressage: 




No comments:

Post a Comment