Monday, December 6, 2010


Francisco de Goya is one of my favorite painters. I learned about this painter while taking an Art History Class. When I went to Europe I was able to see some of his paintings at the Louver in Paris. Some of his paintings are portraits but others are landscape and war depictions. One of his most famous paintings is "Intruder King" this is a war painting but what is interesting about it is that the viewer is watching people interact like a movie. Some of his later work can be quite disturbing. An example of this is the painting "Satan Devouring His Son." This sequence of paintings were completed later in Goya's life. They are to symbolize the evil in humanity. I wrote a paper on this subject last year and compared it to Lord Byran the writers poetry. Some trivia remains that Goya put these grotesque paintings all throughout his house and especially in his dinning room.

No comments:

Post a Comment